Tuesday 14 October 2008

Youtube. Good or bad?


Well. I love Desperate Housewives, and I missed the season 4 finale on sunday, E4. I don't like surprises, so I just went onto Youtube to watch the season 4 finale that I had missed. The "related videos" at the side caught my eye, and suddenly... I was on the beginning of season 5. I don't know how it happened... because then after that, I started clicking on the links from that video, onto the interviews with all the actresses and behind the scenes. Even the "bloopers".


So even though we can catch up on the programmes we like on Youtube, it is very distracting, as I have just spent an hour watching clips and sneak peaks from season 5 instead of doing my homework. HOWEVER! This distraction has then led me to write this post and bring up an interesting topic! This is losing Channel 4 and E4 viewers and money. I'm certain I am not the only one who does this... at least I hope I'm not! By watching all of these clips I am then not watching the programmes that come on T.V. I mean sure...its giving Youtube some money, but thats not too good..


I am sure many of you have 4OD (Channel 4 On Demand), this enables Channel 4 viewers to catch up on the latest programmes shown on this channel. Yet this is still using the media! Somehow my laptop does not allow me to have 4OD so I just clicked onto Youtube, sounds awful, but its quicker..and less time consuming. Plus, you don't get all the sneak peaks of season 5! But is this what the public want? To be shown what happens before it actually comes on the T.V? I just do it because its there, and I can't stand surprises.


Youtube also loses music artists money, some people listen to new songs just released on Youtube because they don't want to spend 79p on a song off iTunes. If everyone did this artistrs would not make as much money, so there would not be much point in them making music at all...
Just something to think about :)
SEE YA LATERRRR


2 comments:

Winters said...

I see where you're coming from on this one, i waste so much time on youbtube being distracted by funny clips or sporting fights when i could be doing something productive, but oh well =)
The bit about people watching new music videos is true, but tbh, i usually just flick through mtv and stuff to watch them. Youbtube doesnt always give the best sound and picture quality for stuff like that. Finally, 79p for a song from itunes is not exactly breaking the banks, if anything, purchasing the music from itunes of your favourite bands is supporting them as they receive a cut of the money as well.

Susie Richardson said...

Same as me then!
MTV - yeah, true, but if you are on the computer already, isn't it just easier to go onto youtube than to go and turn the TV on, probably in a different room?
That makes me sound lazy! I know that if I am on the computer, i will click on new tab, and type in youtube, rather than sign out all of my accounts and turn the TV on, that is probably being watched already by someone else!
:)